December 13, 2018
Brantford Power is warning customers to be aware of an energy rebate scam targeting customers in the area.
Brantford Power has received a number of reports from customers who have received phone calls from someone claiming to be from the ”Ontario Rebate and Reward Association”. The caller claims that the customer is eligible for a rebate on their electricity bill and asks for access to their home to verify eligibility.
Brantford Power wants customers to be aware that this is a scam and cautions that you should not allow strangers to enter your home.
The Ontario Rebate and Reward Association is not legitimate and is no way associated with Brantford Power. Some of the rebate programs that the fraudulent callers refer to are actual provincial programs, but these programs do not require a visit to your home.
Customers who receive a suspicious call should hang up and not provide any personal information. Brantford Power cautions against providing your home address or letting anyone into your home.
The Ontario Energy Board issued a consumer warning to beware of people calling or visiting homes claiming to offer rebates on energy bills. The warning contained the following tips:
- Know who you’re dealing with – If someone calls you, ask for the name of the person you are speaking with, the company they represent and their telephone number.
- Ask for ID – If someone is at your door, ask to see identification, including a business card and ID card with the sales representative’s company information.
- Protect your personal information – Do not feel compelled to share your personal information. Your utility bill is private. It contains personal information like your account number and energy usage.
- No home inspection necessary – The Ontario Electricity Support Program application and approval process does not require a home visit. Utilities rarely visit your home and usually set up an appointment first.
- If you are unsure if a communication from Brantford Power is legitimate, please contact our Customer Care department at 519-751-3522 during regular business hours. Customers are also asked to report any suspicious phone calls they receive to the Brantford Police Department at 519-756-0113 and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or www.antifraudcentre.ca.