March 12, 2021
Brantford Power is warning customers to be aware of an energy audit scam targeting residents in Brantford.
Brantford Power customers have reported receiving fraudulent telephone calls from people claiming to be from “a utility company” and asking to enter their home to conduct an energy audit or inspect equipment. This is a scam. Brantford Power does not conduct energy audits or provide rebates and will not ask to enter your home for these reasons. Customers who receive a suspicious call should hang up and do not agree to let anyone into their home.
Brantford Power has contacted the Brantford Police Department regarding this scam. Customers are asked to visit www.brantfordpolice.ca or call 519-756-0113 to report any interaction with someone claiming to be from a utility company and trying to enter their home. You can also contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or www.antifraudcentre.ca.
Scams have also circulated recently involving threats to disconnect power. Branford Power does not threaten immediate disconnection. Brantford Power reminds customers that utilities follow the rules mandated by the Ontario Energy Board when it comes to notifying customers about past due accounts. Customers will receive written notices if they have an overdue account.
It is very important to note that Brantford Power:
- Does not ask to enter your home to conduct an energy audit.
- Does not have a 1-800 number.
- Does not disconnect customers without prior notice.
- Will not call you to ask you for your account number.
Brantford Power provides the following reminders and tips to help our customers stay safe and protect themselves from possible scams.
REMINDERS AND SAFETY TIPS
- Do not let strangers in your home to conduct an energy audit or inspect equipment.
- Do not provide callers or people who come to your door with any personal information, a copy of your Brantford Power bill or details about your account.
- Customers are asked to visit www.brantfordpolice.ca or call 519-756-0113 to report any interaction with someone posing as a Brantford Power employee and trying to enter their home. You can also contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or www.antifraudcentre.ca.
- Brantford Power does not contact customers after hours by telephone regarding the status of their account. We provide written notice of any past due accounts.
- Brantford Power will never threaten immediate disconnection for non-payment.
- Brantford Power will not ask you for your account number.
- Do not respond to phone calls requesting a call back regarding your account. Instead, call Brantford Power directly at 519-751-3522 to confirm the status of your account.
- If you feel threatened in any way, contact the Brantford Police Department at
- If you are unsure if a communication from Brantford Power is legitimate, please contact our Customer Care department at 519-751-3522 during regular business hours.